Monday, October 6, 2008

Oil Change

Last Friday I went to a local Jiffy Lube to have the oil changed in my car. I am used to changing my own oil coming from a farming and ranching background, but here in Missoula I don't have the resources to do so. While sitting in the office waiting for them to finish the job I witnessed the exploitation of peoples lack of common knowledge. Every day dozens of innocent motorists are tricked into spending much more than they have to at routine service stops. The number one tactic is to bring your engine air filter in for you to see. Air filters will look dirty but wont necessarily need to be changed. Employees will advise that the air filter should be changed. Many people don't know what to look for when checking the filter and assume since it looks dirty then it needs to be changed. With that, twenty dollars gets added to your bill. Another tactic happens when they show you a chart of recommended maintenance from the company who built your car. ( such as Honda, Chevrolet, Ford etc...) Often time these don't even match up to the actual recommended maintenance from the manufacturer. My advice is, before you take your vehical in for standard maintenance brush up on a little auto knowledge to save money.

No comments:

Search Bar

Custom Search